Sunday, April 17, 2011

An update from the front

a pic of my new living quarters

a look towards the mountians
the sign says it all

some tanks the afghan army uses rolling in

Well its currently 12:05 am, a wonderful Monday morning here at camp Blackhorse and I’m working the graveyard shift, 8pm- 8am sweeeeeetttt! Not really though, just as I got into the time difference here they say oh hey your working overnights for a few months!! So gahhh, well gotta do what ya gotta do any since I’m not an NCO well I don’t make the decisions I just follow them. So well were getting our self’s established at our new home and everything is going pretty well.  Were a base with in a base, surrounding us is an afghan army base and its purpose is to bring in just out of basic afghan soldiers train them up more so they can stand up a new battalion and serve in the afgan army. Its pretty neat were the only base in Afghanistan that does that so its pretty cool to see newly formed afghan battalion’s roll out for the first time and go to destinations around the country. I am just going from thought to thought so if this blog seems random it is. and I know someone specific is laughing at me right now but hey I need a way to stay awake tonight and this is one way to do it….. so the DFAC is nice as well and if u don’t know what at DFAC is, it is a dining facility and by the time I’m out of here all of you will know a lot of military lingo. So the DFAC is open 24/7 im pretty pumped about that and one of the best things they have after lunch and dinner is Ben & jerrys ice cream, it is a little slice of heaven, because we are a small base we don’t have all the enmities that bigger bases do like subway or pizza hut but I think that’s a good thing because I don’t need that stuff anyway. My only real expense at this point is the internet. But at the price I pay for it, it could be faster but ill live. I live in a 4 man room but it is sectioned off so I have my own little space I would say its 5x10 maybe? I’ll try to put up a picture or two. Have a closet and a desk with 220 power so I have a converter to bring it to 110 to run all my electronics. I still find myself checking my phone in the morning because I’m so used to doing it at home but I still don’t have any new messages or missed calls haha.  But I think it’s time to watch a movie and research my dream vacation to keep me busy, 
Until next time,
Nick

4 comments:

  1. Ben and Jerry's ice cream...seriouslyyyy?! Ahh, so jealous haha. Eat lots of cookie dough and half-baked ice cream for meeee :).
    You're the best (notice how I used the correct form of you're/your, unlike you did in your-haha- post... sorry babe, the English major side of me had to say it...baby steps haha).
    Come online and chat before your shift starts again tonight!
    Also, you're totally getting some stuff to decorate your room with in the care package I just sent out...so be excited cuz it won't look so boring anymore
    Love you.
    <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the nightshift, son. Coffee, a good book, and an occassional bump or two in the night keeps me occupied. Also...some smartphone entertainment helps too.(ooh...sorry!)
    Looks like you're living in the lap of luxury...twin matress, a chair, a desk, ben&jerry's....nice!

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no...don't get hooked on coffee....coffee ice cream maybe. do YOGA !
    good for what ails ya!
    thx for the photos, it helps to see where u are and i love those mts. better than flat TX.
    keep sending pics.
    yes Kristina, do up his room! he needs a bit of femininity, might smell better too :)
    love/miss u big time!
    ~mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this blog Nick!! You're a great writer, keep at it. Looks pretty serious. You're brave, ha and your Mom is telling you to do yoga? Do you even know any poses? I didn't think so. LIke your random thoughts, thanks.
    ~Valerie in Oregon
    ps Arlo says hey

    ReplyDelete