Monday, April 25, 2011

Post Easter


To the Followers:

room take 2


Add caption
looking back from my desk
Well a few days have passed and I figured I would update the blog. Well it is currently 2:45 am and I’m once again working the night shift. I will be working it for the next few months and so far it is pretty good I have no complaints. I am the only one up and have no NCO’s yelling at for random stuff that doesn’t involve me. So Easter was good here, well as good as it could be.  We had a nice Easter dinner with all the good dinner foods that Easter has to offer.  Got to talk to everyone on dad’s side of the fam but for SOMEEEE reason couldn’t talk to mom’s side haha even though I was on Skype at the time the designated haha. But what else well the other night I got to witness something pretty cool.  If you remember that I talked about one of the things we oversee here is new afghan units getting put together and standing up for the first time. Well once the new unit has completed there training here they roll out and go to their new home for the first time.  So the other night I had the pleasure of watching what seemed like hundreds of vehicles roll out of the gate to start their new mission.  It was pretty cool and it took hours for all the trucks to roll out and it was a sight to see.  If you could think of it this way, it’s like the 82 airborne division getting put together for the first time and rolling out.  Pretty sweet.  So what else.  The other unit finally left so were in full control of the base now and it’s a pretty good feeling to see that Afghans finally getting their country back together. And it is happening contrary to popular beliefs. It’s the first time people have legitimate jobs and they are happy to work, most of them, yes there is a percent that is still bad but we are steadily eliminating that percent. Oh I think I found out the reason ford didn’t go under in the auto collapse. It is because all the police and army here have brand new Ford Rangers and I’m talking like hundreds here and that’s just at our base. I can’t imagine everywhere else. Again most of my entries to my blogs are all thoughts that come into my head and I write them down and I know some people are laughing but hey it works for me.  So also we have a new cammo specifically for Afghanistan that you won’t see anywhere else. They say it helps blend more to the environment and I agree but we are accountable for it and I think all together all the cloths and gear that was assigned to us was over 5,000 $ so ya and god forbid something gets lost they will take it out of ur next pay check but when you are due a promotion or you need a helmet for your safety they will drag their feet on that as long as they want.  So if you looked at any military picture of a normal solider back in WW2 or Vietnam you would usually see a pack of lucky strikes in there helmet band and my friend Kevin gave me a pack to keep the tradition going, mind you I don’t smoke at all but it was a good jester and I have already gotten comments on it from everyone and a few officers here and one of them stopped me and Said  “soldier …hey hold up a second, ….me : yes sir?....Him: do you know you have a pack of lucky strikes in your helmet? Me:  why yes sir, is it a problem I can take them out if you want?....Him: No absoluty not, PFC you are to keep them on ur helmet all deployment, that is got to be the coolest thing I have seen since I have been in country, 3 times!! Way to represent the soldiers before us, carry on. Me:  Roger sir will do” that was one of the highlights so far of being on Blackhorse. So I don’t have my mini fridge yet but I can’t wait to store all the “Rip its” in it when I do. It’s the army’s version of a Red Bull and it helps me get thus the long nights, but you can only get them on Fridays so I have to be tactical about getting as much as I can.  Well this about raps on this post, I have a lot of work to get done tonight.  Two eyes one mouth,
PFC  LATINO , next time I post I should be addressing you as SPC LATINO

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff, PFC...

    Lucky Strikes? Niiiccce! Gotta post a pic of that. All you need now is Playboy and Bob Hope....well, maybe LIFE magazine instead of Playboy (wouldn't want to upset your mom).
    Hope you had a good Easter. We missed your good looks, wit, & charm. Well...your good looks anyway.
    Take Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soo sorry to have dropped the ball on the Easter Skype. But u were not far from our thoughts (see poster pic)
    Cool helmet story... and the caravan of the new and improved Afghan soldiers rolling out to care for their own. Good work Soldier!
    does your room need more stuff? posters? blanket? curtains? magazines? can i send red bull? did u get the pillow etc. care package?
    are you able to sleep soundly?
    okok too many Q.
    gotta head to at&t and fix that issue 4 u.
    sending warm thoughts to SPC Nick ~~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this is cool to be a part of, I'm learning. I like the story about the lucky strikes- you're a great writer and it's a huge plus to have photos to illustrate! I will show my husband your blog, George, he'll like it. He likes all military stories . . . he was Navy. So when do you sleep and can you sleep? What is your skype address? We'll say hi to you on there! And tell your Mom I want to skype with her too! I don't remember my skype address though. Love the red sheets. Best to you Nick, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. whatcha doing????
    Yeah Bruins!!!

    ReplyDelete