Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Days


Well summer is starting to roll in and the days are getting hotter, longer, and more polluted. However since are camp is located outside of Kabul a good ways we don’t have all the pollution the city does, pretty happy about that. So with the summer here that means people start going on their 2 week R&R and we have one soldier already back in the commonwealth and once he comes back another goes and that will continue throughout the summer and fall, mine is at the end of august as long as the world doesn’t end first. The one good thing about R&R is the army will pay for your flight anywhere you want to go in the world and back! I have decided to take my talents to Bradley Int Airport! But I was thinking about it, people were saying they are going to Ireland and Australia, I mean ya its nice and you save a plane ticket but the commonwealth is good enough for me.  Enough about me I’ll tell ya about what’s been going on here the last few weeks! We recently got bomb and drug dogs and they are pretty good at what they do, that is all I can say! They can smell everything and won’t go near you if you smell bad it’s pretty funny.  I am trying to get in good with the handlers so that I can get a chance to wear the marshmallow suit and get chased down by a dog I think that would be sweet, others not so much! Well I have some sad news about Old Blue, the tires are all completely bald, and when I say that I mean there’s no rubber tread at all and is not drivable and it just sits there, a 40,000 dollar paperweight. Now we have to use Humvees that don’t work half the time. But nick it’s a Humvee it must be better than old blue! No, no its not. We have a few Humvees here all are also not street worthy and technically we need to have 2 people in there to operate it, however I tend to break that rule, a lot. But hey if the camp needs water and we only have me to get in the Humvee to esquorte water trucks in, I’m going to do it by myself!  On a different note we just renovated our BDOC office and it’s really nice now, however since you need a minimum of a secret security clearance to get into the office I can’t talk about what we did so some other day, but it’s really really nice! Hahaha so I asked them if we could have a day off on our birthdays and it would be greatly appreciated but they just laughed and said no, no days off, so will stay on out 24/7 shifts. The army however really does love it when you have a birthday, there is so many army traditions when your birthday comes around it is really a special time! (Very sarcastic) I let you think about that. Let’s just say my 21st birthday was during annual training last year, everyone in the company knew it was my birthday and 49 people had lined up outside my room to tell me so!  I’m tired I’m going to go sleep. I know this wasn’t much, I’ll write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment